By:Landon Barcelo and Elijah Arellano source: https://www.history.com/topics/holidays/cinco-de-mayo
Cinco De Mayo Timeline
May 5th 1862
"In 1861, Benito Juárez, a lawyer and member of the indigenous Zapotec tribe, was elected president of Mexico" During this, Mexico was in financial ruin. This forced the president to default the debt payments.
"Late in 1861, a well-armed French fleet stormed Veracruz, landing a large force of troops and driving President Juárez and his government into retreat." They did this because they demanded a payment from mexico.
According to History (website) "Lorencez gathered his army supported by heavy artillery, before the city of Puebla and led an assault.The battle lasted from daybreak to early evening, and when the French finally retreated they had lost nearly 500 soldiers"
This was the first part of the war.
Austrian Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian, emperor of Mexico in 1864 was captured and executed by Juárez’s forces.
"In 1867—thanks in part to military support and political pressure from the United States, which was finally in a position to aid its besieged neighbor after the end of the Civil War—France finally withdrew."
1. The effect of the war impacted people because it made them remember their victor against France.
2. Cinco De Mayo started to be celebrated in the US because "Cinco De Mayo has taken on a great significance."
3. Cinco De Mayo es celebrato en la US more than Mexico because te gusta food y traditions.
4.La celebración es más grande en los Estados Unidos (United States) que en México.
5.Hay 328, 656, 064 millones personas Latinas en los Estados Unidos.
6. El mole es una salsa con chocolate.
7.En Puebla, los mexicanos actuar de nuevo (reenact) la batalla para celebrar.
8. Los chicanos celebran por el movimiento por los derechos civiles (Civil Rights Movement) en 1960s.