Dr. David Lyness@Gas_Craic
MONOPOLAR & BIPOLAR
Surgical diathermy equipment uses the heating effects of high frequency (kHz–MHz) Electrical current coagulates and cut tissues.There are two basic types – monopolar and bipolar
- Generates electrical energy at 200 kHz to 6 MHz.
- The energy is applied between two electrodes (neutral and active).
- Bipolar diathermy operates with a much lower power output (15-20w for example)
- The output is applied between the points of a pair of forceps producing high local current density.
Modern ECG’s also contain floating or isolated circuits to avoid providing a route to earth for any stray currents.
- The patient plate is attached within the diathermy machine to an isolating capacitor.
- The diathermy current which is of high frequency flows easily across the capacitor
- Fires and explosions may be caused by sparks igniting flammable materials, e.g. skin cleaning solutions, bowel gas.