What is air pollution?
- the presence in or introduction into the air of a substance which has harmful, poisinous effects
- it occurrs when harmful or excessive quantities of substancwes including gases, particles, and biological molecules are introduced into Earths atmosphere
What are different types of air pollution?
- carbon oxides
-volatile organic compounds
- form from chemical reactions that occur when pollution is exposed to sunlight
How does pollution affect us?
- respiratory diseases
- cardiovascular damage
- fatigue, headaches, and anxiety
- irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat
- damage to the reproductive organs
- harm to the liver, spleen, and blood
- nervous system damage
- global warming: caused by carbon dioxide which upsets the carbon cycle
- ozone layer: protects us from harmful rays from the sun and is damaged from methane gas, livestock, CFCs, spray cans
- acid rain: sulfur dioxide gets introduced into the atmosphere which damages forests and kills fish
How does air pollution affect the environment?
What can you do?
- shutting of electricity when you're done
- alternative ways of travel (bike, walk, carpool)
- not use fireplace/woodstove
- avoid burning leaves, trash, etc.
- avoid using gas-powered lawn equipment
- use environmentally safe cleaning products
- start a compost bin
How are companies dealing with air pollution?
- alternative forms of energy (wind, solar, Hydro, etc.)
- electric cars
- placing more laws on companies
- clubs taking action (Sierra Club, Coalition for Clean Air or CCA, Earth Justice, etc.)