What is it?
A direct democracy (also known as a pure democracy) involves having the citizens vote on issues.
Similar to a representative democracy or a republic, but without the representatives.
“I have strong reasons for being a Democrat. Basically if you want true fairness in society, you want to give a voice in the corridors of power for the people who otherwise would not have it, I believe that will come from the Democratic Party.”
- Jim Webb
The most prominent example is ancient Athens, where the Athenian democratic system required all citizens to take a vote on major issues. They excluded women, slaves, and foreigners.
Assemblies of about 1000 male citizens would take place.
Switzerland is the only country in modern history that practices a form of direct democracy.
It is practiced at the national, cantonal, and municipal levels.
(nation, state, city levels)
Most western countries have representative systems.
“John F. Kennedy asked us what we could do for America. This Democratic Party asks what can government give you. Don’t worry about paying the bill, it’s on your kids and grandkids.”
- Artur Davis
- Encourages people to be politically active
- Government officials can be immediately recalled
- Society is generally happy
- The people have control over their quality of life
- Difficult to make fast decisions
- Can encourage more segregation
- Doesn't work with large populations
- Can encourage instability
- “Direct Democracy Definition.” History, HistoryOnTheNet, 1 June 2017, www.historyonthenet.com/direct-democracy-definition/.
- “File:DemocraticLogo.svg.” File:Cholesterol (Chemical Structure).Svg - Wikimedia Commons, 12 Aug. 2017, commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:DemocraticLogo.svg.
- chiller, Theo. “Direct Democracy.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 19 Dec. 2017, www.britannica.com/topic/direct-democracy.
- “19 Pros and Cons of Direct Democracy.” Vittana.org, Vittana, 26 Apr. 2017, vittana.org/19-pros-and-cons-of-direct-democracy.
- “Free Image on Pixabay - Ballot Box, Cut Out, Voting.” Family Love Rainbow · Free Vector Graphic on Pixabay, 29 Apr. 2016, pixabay.com/en/ballot-box-cut-out-voting-1359527/.
- Skidmore, Gage. “Artur Davis.” Flickr, Yahoo!, 19 Mar. 2013, www.flickr.com/photos/gageskidmore/8570170873.
- Kalexnova. “Jim Webb Speaks 2.” Flickr, Yahoo!, 20 Sept. 2006, www.flickr.com/photos/97248334@N00/248610833