The World War 2 was a huge war between two military alliances: Allies and Axis.
- Germany, led by Hitler, invades Poland. This event starts WW2
- France and Britain declare war on Germany 3 days later
- Rationing starts in the UK.
- British victory in Battle of Britain forces Hitler to postpone invasion plans.
- Japan attacks Pearl Harbor, and the US enters the war.
- American naval victory at Battle of Midway, in June, marks turning point in Pacific War.
- Mass murder of Jewish people at Auschwitz begins.
- Surrender at Stalingrad marks Germany's first major defeat.
- The win in North Africa by the Allies enables the invasion of Italy.
- Italy surrenders, Germany takes battle.
- Soviet offensive gathers pace in Eastern Europe.
- D Day: The Allied invasion of France. Paris is liberated in August.
- Guam liberated by the US Okinawa, and Iwo Jima bombed.
- Hitler commits suicide and Germany surrenders on 7 May.
- Truman becomes President of the US on Roosevelt's death, and Attlee replaces Churchill.
- After atomic bombs are dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan surrenders on 14 August.