- trained to administer and manage anesthesia given during a surgical procedure.
- They are also responsible for managing and treating changes in your critical life functions - breathing, heart rate, and blood pressure - as they are affected by the surgery being performed.
Step 2: Pass the Medical College Admission Test
Step 3: Complete Medical School
Step 4: Pass the USMLE
Step 5: Complete an Anesthesiology Residency Program
Step 6: Obtain State Licensing
Step 7: Advance Your Career By Becoming Board Certified
- High School Degree
- Four year bachelor's degree
- Four years of graduate education leading to a degree in medicine (M.D.) or osteopathy (D.O.).
- Four more years in an anesthesiology residency.
- a salary of approximately $300,000 annually
- can expect to earn upwards of $450,000 with experience.
- Receive bonuses along with annual salary
- 35,000 anesthesiologists
- 1,300 Anesthesiologists Assistants actively practicing in the United States
- the growth in demand is assumed to be 3%
- accounting for the aging population, the shortage of physician anesthesiologists may reach as high as 12,500 by 2020
- “The projected shortage of anesthesiologists suggests that the U.S. will soon face a gap in anesthesiology services that will be just as important to Americans’ health as the projected physician gap for primary care services,” says Dr. Warner.
- Average 55 hours/week
- Hours can range from 45 - 70 hours/week depending on the rotation
- Rarely exceed 60 hrs/week on non-ICU rotations
- 2-3 weekends off a month when not in the ICU
- When not on call, residents are typically relieved from the OR by 4:30pm
The following skills are important for this career:
- Reading comprehension – medium (Level 5)
- Active listening – medium (Level 5)
- Writing – medium (Level 5)
- Speaking – medium (Level 5)
- Mathematics – medium (Level 3)
- Science – medium (Level 5)
- Critical thinking – high (Level 6)
- Active learning – medium (Level 4)
- Learning strategies – medium (Level 3)
- Monitoring – medium (Level 5)
States with the highest employment level in this occupation:
After using visme i have decided i do like it very much. The website was extremely user friendly. It was fairly easy to add videos, pictures, and hyperlinks. I also noticed that it was very modern compared to powerpoint. Powerpoint just seems older and is not keeping up with the ever changing technical advances. Visme also had pretty slides !