"It'd Be Better If Mom / Dad Just Passed Away"
PENROSE SENIOR CARE AUDITORS AGING PARENT SURVEY, JULY 2016 CONDUCTED NATIONWIDE AMONG 552 ADULT CHILDREN OF PARENTS AGES 75+.
© PENROSE SENIOR CARE AUDITORS, INC.
Penrose Aging Parent Study Results
More likely to feel this way if you feel extremely responsible for your parent's quality of life than if you feel average or less responsibility
30% OF ADULT CHILDREN FEEL IT WOULD BE BETTER IF THEIR AGING PARENT JUST PASSED AWAY
9x more likely to feel this way if the parent lives in an Assisted Living Community rather than personal home.
- DON'T KNOW THEM WELL
- DON'T LIKE EACH OTHER
- DO LOVE THEM THOUGH
3x more likely to feel this way if parent is in poor physical, mental, emotional, or financial health
Those who feel this way are 2X more likely to visit parent every day BUT SAY...
- Worry twice as much about their parent
- Feel twice as guilty that they don't do enough for their parent
- Much more likely not to want to visit their parent
- Feel much more angry that others don't help them
- Much more likely to say they are at the end of their rope
- Much more want their old life back, and feel selfish about it
- More likely to believe their senior is likely being abused
- Spend 10x more a month on their parents
- Are more male than female
AND THEY ALSO ...