What is ocean conservation?
- The preservation & protection of ecosystems in oceans & seas
- Focuses on preserving vulnerable marine species
Primary Causes of Marine Pollution
- Makes up 60-80% of marine pollution
- Easily disregarded by humans
- Accumulation leads to garbage patches
- Presents health & safety risks
- Ability to be fragmented
- Very toxic
- Extremely difficult to clean up
- 12% of oil entering the ocean is from ocean spills
- Easily spreads out on the ocean surface
- Alters marine animals' behaviors & hearing
- May cause physical injury or hearing damage
- Travels faster & longer in water
- Marine life is extremely sensitive to noise
Who is being affected?
Species of Sea Turtles
Yes, us too!
- Makes up 3/4 of our planet
- Holds 97% of the planet's water
- Produces a lot of oxygen
- Micro-plastics contaminate our seafood
- Provides us life!
What can I do?
Minimize the Use of Plastic
- Invest in reusable water bottles
- Use paper or metal straws
- Bring your own reusable bags & containers
- Beach clean-ups (organized or unorganized)
- Coral reef restoration & surveying
- Educate others!
PRIMARY CAUSES OF MARINE POLLUTION
WHO IS BEING AFFECTED?
WHAT CAN I DO?
Our oceans are dying, and they are taking us with them.