"An increasing number of children are being taken away from parents due to addiction issues."
Connecting for change
2018 Impact Report
Strengthening communities, one youth and one family at a time.
"5/100 kids in the region are being abused. (more than most large cities)"
"Unaccompanied youth and minors make up 15% of the homeless in Comal County."
"Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for individuals ages 10-34 years old."
"The primary reason children run away is family conflict."
PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
Connections operates two short-term emergency shelters, accommodating children ages 5 to 18 who are experiencing family conflict, homelessness, abuse, or neglect, and a transitional living program housing youth ages 15 to 21 who need assistance, through job training and life skills development, to make the transition to adulthood.
Average reporting great or good care.
Mental health is an important part of overall health affecting success in school, at work and in society. Youth and family counseling strengthens coping mechanisms, decision-making abilities, and problem-solving skills. Trained counselors assist with issues including bullying, family communication, self-esteem, stress management, and conflict resolution.
Community clients reporting positive change.
Designed to combat the drug and alcohol addiction problem amongst our youth, this free curriculum-based program for school-aged youth decreases drug and alcohol abuse risk factors while promoting healthy lifestyles. Program facilitators engage participants through fun activities that inspire and educate kids of all ages.
SUBSTANCE ABUSE PREVENTION
Positive change post event.
Alt. Activity Attendees
- Celebrated the high school graduation of six residents.
- Transitioned staff to supervisory roles creating stable, dedicated leadership.
- Incorporated suicide prevention strategies (with zero completed suicides in Comal County).
- Trained staff in trauma-based care methods.
- Expanded curriculum and support services in underserved populations.
- Retained credentialed staff and received an "extremely satisfied" rating on community satisfaction surveys.
WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO...