A Timeline of Napoleon- Nadia Majed
Napoleon was born in Corsica into a noble family.
Napoleon was sent to France at the
age of ten for his education. He prepared for a career in the french army were he chose the artiliary becuase it was the division least dominated by aristocracy.
He was a minor officer, he advanced in his career and displayed his "talents"
Jacobins fell out of power and so Napoleons position became insecure. he overcame this by rendering valuable services to the government.
At the age of 27, Napoleon was given the command of an army to challenge austrian power in Italy. led his army and defeated the Austrians. He operated as an independent authority
Napoleon negotiated the treaty of Campo formio which gave france control over the austrians.
- Napoleon became a national hero - he put down the royalist plot in france.
- after his victories in Italy, Napoleon was given command of an army for the invasion of England. Napoleon thought this was immature and thought it would be better to attack English interets in the Middle East.
- took his troops to Egypt.
- Napoleons Egyptian campaign failed. He was defeated by the english fleet under Admiral Horatio Nelson.
- Although Napoleon abandoned his army, he was still famous in france because people were not aware of what he did.
- After receiving news of turmoil in France, Napoleon returns to Paris
- Following a coup d'etat, Napoleon becomes first consul of the new french government.
- Napoleon leads his army across the Alps in the second Italian campaign.
- wins battle of marengo vs austria
- signing of the concordat between France and rome ends schism between french government and the catholic church
- Napoleon escapes assassination attempt.
- peace with England. consul for life. legion of honour.
- restructures french educational system.
- France sells louisiana territory to U.S
- England violates the treaty of Amiens
- senate proclaims Napoleon as emperor.
- Napoleon crowns himself emperor in notre dame cathedral in paris.
Napoleon crowned king of Italy in Milan.
-The beginning of the French occupation in portugal.
-The French fall to Spain in the battle of Vitoria.
-Anti French coalition army enters France.
- paris falls
- Senate proclaim end of empire. Napoleons wife and son flee paris.
- Louis XVIII restored to the french throne.
- Napoleon exiled to Elba. His wife and son take refuge in Vienna.
- Napoleon escapes Elba. and returns to South France.
- Napoleon rallies the French armies.
- Louis XVIII flees and Napoleon takes control , begins 100 days campaign.
- abdicates the second time.
- Exiled to St.Helena
- Napoleon dies.