Study Skills and Test Taking Strategies
5- day Study Plan
Essays Essays Essays
first day: Breathe, don't worry about having your complete introduciton or body paragraphs done. it's okay!
Second day: Keep breathing, start jotting down ideas related to your topic. the more the better.
Third day: start forming topic sentences that could be expanded into paragraphs. Don't worry if your introduction isn't complete, just keep writing.
fourth day: Find sources that could add to your paper (Your professor will most likely give you a set number)
Fifth day: start making your ideas more concise and coherent so that way your sentences cater to the main idea of each paragraph.
First things first, everyone's different.
- Find a comfortable place to study.
- Test yourself or have someone else test you on what you've studied.
Technology helps! QUIZLET, TIMERS,
- Review material after class, the sooner the better.
- Space out your studying.
- Make sure you understand the material and aren't just memorizing.
test taking strategies
On Essays/ Short Answers
- Write down everything that is asked of you and MORE
- Budget your time. Don't spend the entire time on one essay question
- Proofread your work
On Multiple Choice
- Eliminate answers that you know aren't right.
- Come up with an answer before you read the possible answers
- Don't second guess yourself!
Reduce Test Anxiety!
- Show up to class early so you don't have to worry about being late.
- Read the directions slowly and carefully.
- Don't worry about how fast others are finishing their test.
- Focus on the question at hand. Don't let your mind wander on other things.