1. Allow artists and educators to identify purpose and intention as an Artivist” (Artist+Activist)
2. Unlock the ability for participants to translate their skills to empower and educator others.
3. Learn how to obtain work in this innovative field.
4. Overstand how to formulate impactful lesson plans and curriculum.
5. Comprehend the basic business for working as an independent contractor/ freelancer.
6. Provide tool for facilitating in today dynamic learning environments.
7. To learn from each other by engaging in creative activities and sharing their vision.
BREAKING THE ICE
Level 1: Group stomps and claps a steady beat counting to 4. As the group holds the beat each person will count out 1234 on the beat solo, followed by the group counting 1234 together.
Level 2: Each person fills in the 4 count and the group repeats it.
Level 3: Going around the group, each person solos 2 bars.
Level 1: We pass the Numbers 1-4 clockwise after 4 we return to 1.
Level 2: You can pass the number either to your Left or right.
Level 3: You can pass the number across the cypher making eye contact with the person you are passing the number to.
PASS THE NUMBER
The group will count down from 10 with each limb (Right Arm, Right Leg, Left Leg and Left Arm). As the numbers get lower we speed up.
JOURNEY INTO ARTIVISM
Y? Starts story with Matthew Hall leading to Audio School, Get Open Showcase and Creation of Optimus Foundation. [Finished Audio Engineering School, Worked at Sam Ash 1 year, Internship at Electric Lady]
Success as Teaching Artist, Live Bands, Instruments, IRS Problems, Forms Creative Expressions, Begins Working with BEAT, Forms Bands, Works with Musicians and Singers, Trains in Theater, Pedagogy of the Oppressed. [Shifts Focus from being an Artist to Educator]
Urban Art Beat, Urban Word, Urban Arts Partnership, NYU HipHop Preemptive Ed. [Emcee, Producer, Freelance Engineer]
Begins Training other Teaching Artists and Designing Arts Education Programs. Established Career as Teaching Artist Freelancing with various non-profits and education facilities. Works corporate Gigs as Artist and Educator. [Shifts Focus to Building up Creative Expressions as a company and Artistry]
Mentors 2 Teaching Artists to make over $100 per hour 1 Secures 40k starting salary without a college degree. Authors curriculum and licences it to a non-profit. Does Branding for Creative Expressions.
BLURRING THE LINES
- Groups will brainstorm how to act as an “ARTIST” in an Educational Environment and how to act as an “EDUCATOR” in an Artistic environment.
- Each group will have to create a 3 min performance piece that blurs the lines between Artist and Educator. Each group must do their best to allow all members to participate in the performance equally.
- Each group will have up to 3 mins to perform and receive 1 constructive critique and 1 positive reinforcement from 2 different groups.
CREATE AND BUILD
Read through “B.E.A.T Rhymers Curriculum”
What Makes an Effective Lesson Plan?
Take 10 minutes to sketch out a basic Lesson Plan based on your unique talents and skills
1. Identifying purpose and intention as an Artivist
2. Utilize your Artistic and Education skills to empower others
3. Gain clarity on how to obtain work as a Teaching Artist
4. Learn how to create lesson plans and formulate curriculum
5. Learn the Basics of Business for Freelance Artists
6. Facilitate in today's dynamic class settings
The Cypher will form again.
All participants reflect on our 6 points and ask any questions to Y? or the group