Why universities, governments and global companies are investing in MOOCs?
SQU & Edx.org
National initiative and
What is SQU MOOCs Project?
"Sultan Qaboos University Vice Chancellor & Oman Education Council's initiative to join the international community of top 100 international universities by providing open online courses for international learners in edx.org or Coursera.org (world leading MOOCs providers)."
SQU MOOCs Project aim to:
Imrove SQU International Ranking
Improve educational system in Oman by cooperating with top universities
Promote Omani research studies internationally
Encourage innovation in education
What is a MOOC?
"This is the golden era of learning, thanks to massive open online courses"
“a global phenomenon”
“We’re on the beginning of something very profound.”
Reach & Access
Cost & Revenue
1. Reach & Access
Extending the reach of the institution and access to education by:
• Broadcasting to international audiences
• Allowing institutions to fulfill the high demand for undergraduate education despite infrastructure constraints
• Reducing the pressure on over enrolled courses and programs.
• Provide study space and time flexibility
• Provide low-cost and risk-free option for students (specially at-risk students)
• Offer continuing education or professional development for in-service learners and alumni.
Building and maintaining international brand:
• Attract and retain students and faculty members
• Partnership opportunities with other universities and educational institutions, funding bodies, alumni networks.
• Demonstrate leadership and global expertise by showcasing programs, specialties and research abilities.
• Improving university ranking
Cost & Revenue
Reducing costs and increase revenue
a) Cost reduction
• Re-placing on-campus courses with MOOCs
• Reducing the need for facilities
• Reduction in faculty recruitment
• Increase student enrollment at low-cost.
• Developing common courses that can be offered across colleges, institutions and universities.
b) Revenue generating
• Charging for Credit courses
• Encouraging students through MOOCs to register in full degree programs
• Allowing employee hunting (matchmaking) for employers
• Increase class size
• Fees on f2f coaching and examination for international MOOCs.
Improving educational outcomes
• Encourage faculties to apply effective pedagogies
• Allow improving instructors’ teaching skills
• Improving instructional materials
• Gamification to increase students’ motivation and engagements
• Use MOOCs in schools to prepare students for university
• Enable universities to achieve graduate attributes
Teaching & Learning Innovation
Innovation in teaching and learning
By allowing experimentation and innovation with pedagogy in MOOCs and applying the success in on-campus courses
Increase research opportunities
MOOCs provide huge data that can be used for research studies. Many international universities claim that MOOCs enable research exploration in the following areas:
• Social media role in teaching and learning
• Learner motivation
• Machine Learning/ artificial intelligence
• Human-Computer interaction
• Natural Language processing
• Adaptive learning
• Flipped classroom
• Hybrid vs. traditional classroom
• Data mining in education
SQU has an agreement with Edx.org to become a member