Town of Pittsville Timeline
The Origins of the "Strawberry Capital of the World"
Charter is issued to the Wicomico & Pocomoke Railroad.
Post Office is established. Mrs. May Farlow is the first postmistress.
Village name is changed: the railroad is now routed through “Pittsville” with the 1st shipment of strawberries.
The dedication of Ayers M.E. Church takes place. The church cost $1300 to build.
Pittsville Central School opens. It remains open until 1936, when a new school is built.
Truckers & Savings bank opens. Mr. Leamon Tingle also opens his printing business in the town.
The first auction block opens as refrigerated rail cars are put in use.
Electricity comes to Pittsville. The first fire dept. sign is turned on in 1932.
Peak of “Strawberry Days” in Pittsville.
Walter H. Farlow & Sons Hatchery is one of the first successful hatcheries in Pittsville.
Labor for strawberry crop dwindles. “Red Stele” disease wipes out most of the berry varieties.
Pittsville becomes incorporated for the 2nd time (previous incorporation was in 1900, but dissolved in 1908).
A town stoplight is installed and trash collection begins.
Water system is installed.
“Pittsville: An Eastern Shore Town’s History” is published.
Pittsville Fire Dept. is established. Construction of the fire dept. occurs in 1929.
At the Crossroads by Paul Baker Trout
Pittsville: An Eastern Shore Town's History by Louis (Casey) Parsons,
Wicomic County & Delmar in Vintage Postcards by John Jacob,
Jim Jackson and over 75 volunteers in the Pittsville Community who helped to piece together the town history