Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
For my preliminary task, I created a front cover and contents page for a school magazine and took inspiration from pupils, events and stories within the school. This was my first time using Adobe Photoshop and looking back now after creating my main task I can see that my preliminary task does not look as professional. This is because the images are not edited as well as those on my main task, and I was still getting my head around using all the different tools within the programme. When creating my main task, I was much more comfortable editing and perfecting my images than I was with my preliminary task, and felt more confident using the different tools because I had used many of them before when creating my preliminary task magazine.
I feel that creating my preliminary task helped me to learn more about each of the typical codes and conventions of a pop magazine, and the different ways of laying out all the codes and conventions. It also enabled me to experiment with lots of different layouts for the codes and conventions, to work out which looks most professional, and similar to my magazine of inspiration. The production of my preliminary task also helped me to practice with the more advanced tools which I used when producing my main task, such as the quick selection tool which I found tricky to use when first using it.
I was also able to use the layout for my preliminary task as a rough guide to follow when creating my main task, but manipulate and change anything that I felt didn’t work or look professional enough for my pop music magazine pages.
My masthead of my main task also differs to my preliminary task. When creating my preliminary task, I placed the masthead across the top of the front cover, whereas in my main task I felt that I wanted to make my magazine look more similar to ‘We Love Pop’, and therefore placed my masthead inside a speech bubble, like that on each issue of ‘We Love Pop’. I feel that my main task masthead looks so much better and is eye catching to readers. For the contents page, I placed ‘Pitch loves this...’ across the top of the page, because I felt that there would be too much dead space if I just inserted the masthead. I used the font Disco Night as I felt this looked similar to the masthead font style in We Love Pop.
When taking the photographs for my main task, I was able to use my knowledge from taking my previous photos for my preliminary task to make the photographs appear of a higher standard. This knowledge consisted of using high key lighting, ensuring there were no shadow’s reflecting on my model’s face and experimenting with body language and facial expressions, until I felt that I had images that would appeal to my target audience. I considered the mise-en-scene when taking my photographs for my main task, as the costume, facial expressions and body language needed to look professional, reflect the pop genre of my magazine and attract my target audience of females between the ages of 12-18. I created a photography plan, where I planned where and when I would take my photographs, as well as what equipment I would use, to ensure that my magazine looked professional and similar to my magazine of inspiration ‘We Love Pop’. I also planned what shot types and angles I would use, inspired by my magazine of inspiration. For example, I used the Canon IS500 to take the pictures, and a medium close up as I know that my magazine of inspiration usually uses medium close up for the front cover main image.
Overall, the production of my preliminary task sped up my workflow when creating my main task, as I was no longer new to the software, knew some shortcuts and continuously became more accustomed to the programme. I learnt many things through the creation of my preliminary magazine, and used this newly acquired knowledge to create, what I feel looks like a very professional main task. Parts of my layout did change for my main task after experimenting them on the preliminary task, however much of it also stayed the same if I felt that it worked on the preliminary task and would appear to be professional on my main task and appeal to my target audience.