By: Jacob Rhee
- Avg. amount taken is $4,841
- Attorney fees
- Lost wages
1. Mail theft
2. Social media
3. Phone scams
1. Order a copy of your credit report every month or so
2. Secure personal info in your home.
3. Use different passwords
4. Use secure websites, wifi, etc.
1. Setup text alerts
2. Review financial statements
3. Alert provider when traveling
4. Keep track of your accounts
1. File police report
5. Above are credit reporting agencies
6. Opt out of junk emails, phone calls, etc.
1. Report theft
2. Call credit reporting agencies
3. Freeze credit card accounts
In summary, Identity theft has affected millions of people worldwide and will continue to affect people. The best way to protect yourself is to be careful about what info you put out online.