Fight or Flight?
The "Fight or Flight" concept is our body's natural instinct to either fight/defend or retreat/get away from danger. Additionally, we also must consider the legal concept of "Stand Your Ground" laws that have been adopted in many of our states. The concept of "Stand Your Ground" permits a person not to have to retreat even though they physically have the ability to do so, but remain in place or "Stand Your Ground " and defend oneself.
- What might have happened...
- if he ran towards the car?
- if he did not approach the vehicle?
- if the aggressor had nothing in his hand?
- if Florida did not have a "Stand Your Ground Law"?
- Could simply leaving the area be sufficient?
- Does every situation require force or confrontation?
- Could standing your ground provoke violence?
- Could the untrained individual resort to more force than necessary?
1. In some European countries civilians are not allowed to have guns. How might a similar scenario play out there?
2, How would gun advocates use this story to their advantage?
3. How would those opposed to guns use this story to their advantage?
4. Does this story make you want to change your behavior in the future?