- With 1 in 10 babies being born into a Muslim household
Islamophobia: A Global Issue
- Has become evident due to the refugee flow and terrorist crime increase within Western Countries.
- Resulted in the Global Fear of muslims
- Effects the overall global interactions with Islamic countries and the way Islamic countries are represented
To what extent does Western media vilify Dubai?
Islamophobia in Media
Current Western dominance within media
Emirates Countries always being a topic of interest
Difference in coverage of media (Local vs Western)
Media influence on the fear of Muslims
English Speaking countries news organisation (Usually renown) Ex. Fox News, The Guardian
What the Western population think. English-speaking everyday people (Western Media Audience)
Local Media companies. UAE based organisations. Ex. 7 Days, Gulf News
UAE population, expats, residents of the UAE and Islamic countries. Muslims themselves.
- Uses Hyperbole and Imagery within Article
This evokes pathos for the victim of the incident.
- Uses Repetition, focuses more on facts rather than emotions and onomatopoeia
This creates emphasis on the severity of the situation
All use intense adjectives to create Imagery.
“ Jamie Harron, 27, from Scotland, was arrested after a German expat called police alleging the man had patted his behind, then flashed his middle finger, the court heard” (The National),
“My little girl had to go to the toilet on the cell floor.” (Fox News)
“Jamie Harron, from Stirling, who says he put his hand out so he did not ‘bump and spill drinks” (The Guardian)
“ She arrived presenting an expired Swedish passport” (Gulf News)
- Some wrote in paragraphs, others wrote in sentence form.
- On the British Articles both wrote a conclusion stating
“It’s illegal to drink alcohol or be intoxicated in public, the department states" and
“You can be arrested. Foreigners have been arrested on arrival after becoming intoxicated on incoming aircraft or while in transit.”
- Revealed the truth at the end of the article because people only skimming the article will receive half the story.
- Both use images to create a sense of "They are good looking people so they couldn't possibly do anything this bad" which subconsciously happens whenever a reader views an image
- Usage of Bold and Eye-Catching headlines
- All have a small description under the image
Different writing Styles between to create different moods within the texts from The Local News articles.
“A tourist accused of drunkenly touching a man at a bar in Dubai will serve three months in jail after being convicted by a court on Sunday. Jamie Harron, 27, from Scotland, was arrested after a German expat called police alleging the man had patted his behind, then flashed his middle finger, the court heard.” (The National)
- Very Factual and more so neutral than Gulf News
“Every single aspect was patently ridiculous, reminiscent of officious behaviour in some underdeveloped world dictatorship. Just about every tabloid ran the story based on hearsay from a sole source without any care for fact-checking.” (Gulf News)
- Very patronising through the usage of sarcasm
Similarities with mentioning Detained in Dubai which creates an intense mood that entices the reader
“The campaign group Detained in Dubai said Jamie Harron, 27, had expected to be arrested at the hearing on Sunday for failing to appear at a previous court date, which the group claimed was moved without notification.`’ (The Guardian)
“Radha Stirling, Detained in Dubai’s chief executive, said it is “wholly illegal for any tourist to have any level of alcohol in their blood, even if consumed in flight and provided by Dubai’s own airline. It is illegal to consume alcohol at a bar, a hotel and a restaurant, and if breathalyzed, that person will be jailed." (Fox News)
- Clearly shows prominent islamophobia is within Media
- Constant instillation of fear due to Media magnifies the issue further
- Difference between people that understand the Muslim Faith and people who don't
-Due to ineducation about Islam
-Constantly attacked and put under a microscope for their 'issues' because Westerns can't see a Muslim country succeed.
What is the influence?
- Helped us understand the issue as a whole
- Come to conclusion about why this is about and how can we solve it
- Understand the proper influence on media and how it is easily ignored due to implications of 'freedom of speech' etc.
- Articles conflating the faith of Islam with criminality
- Realise it's undeniable that newspapers use headlines to sell papers
- Be able to look into depth about the influence of media upon global issues
Links between Lit/Lang and Humanities
Amir, Salam Al. “Scottish Tourist Jailed for Drunkenly Touching Man in Dubai Bar.” The National, The National, 22 Oct. 2017, www.thenational.ae/uae/courts/scottish-tourist-jailed-for-drunkenly-touching-man-in-dubai-bar-1.669245.Association, Press. “Briton Appears in Court in Dubai for Touching Man's Hip in Bar.” The Guardian, Guardian News and Media, 8 Oct. 2017, www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/08/briton-appears-in-court-in-dubai-for-touching-mans-hip-in-bar.“Detained in Dubai.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 5 Sept. 2018, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detained_in_Dubai.“GCSE Media Studies - Target Audience - Revision 1.” BBC News, BBC, www.bbc.com/bitesize/guides/zy24p39/revision/1.Heard, Linda S., and Gulf News. “The Fantasist Tabloids of Britain.” GulfNews, Gulfnews, 20 Aug. 2018, gulfnews.com/opinion/thinkers/the-fantasist-tabloids-of-britain-1.2268754.“Islamophobia: Why Are So Many People So Frightened?” - Global Issues, www.globalissues.org/news/2016/06/01/22184.Joyce, Kathleen. “Mom Detained in Dubai after Drinking Complimentary Glass of Wine on Emirates Flight.” Fox News, FOX News Network, 11 Aug. 2018, www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/08/11/mom-detained-in-dubai-after-drinking-complimentary-glass-wine-on-emirates-flight.html.Saleem, Muniba. “Spreading Islamophobia: Consequences Of Negative Media Representations.” The Huffington Post, TheHuffingtonPost.com, 24 Apr. 2017, www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/spreading-islamophobia-consequences-of-negative-media-representations_us_58fe682de4b06b9cb91963fb.“Search The Truth about Allah, Islam, Christianity, Judaism.” UsIslam, www.usislam.org/Islamophobia/Reasons-for-Islamophobia.htm.Versi, Miqdaad. “Why the British Media Is Responsible for the Rise in Islamophobia in Britain.” The Independent, Independent Digital News and Media, 4 Apr. 2016, www.independent.co.uk/voices/why-the-british-media-is-responsible-for-the-rise-in-islamophobia-in-britain-a6967546.html.“Viewpoint: Islamophobia Has a Long History in the US.” BBC News, BBC, 29 Sept. 2015, www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34385051.