What Social Issues
Economic Impacts. (n.d.). Retrieved October 29, 2016, from http://nodirtygold.earthworksaction.org/impacts/economic#.WBTcueErKFU
Dirty Gold's Impact. (n.d.). Retrieved October 29, 2016, from http://nodirtygold.earthworksaction.org/impacts#.WAkOYPkrLIU
The Direct Economic Impact of Gold. (n.d.). Retrieved October 29, 2016, from https://goo.gl/njVYUG
Are Associated With
Gold mining contributes to poisoned waters, air pollution, and habitat loss, globally.
Mining companies around the world regularly dump toxic waste into rivers, lakes, streams and oceans - an estimated 180 million tonnes of such waste annually. Harming aquatic life and contaminating nearby water reserves that communities rely on.
Ore is subjected to high temperatures in order to melt the metal and release it from other materials in the ore. This process releases a large amount of toxins, such as lead, nitrogen and sulfur, mercury, sulfur dioxide, zinc, cadmium, carbon dioxide and uranium. Contributing to disease, climate change, and unclean air.
"Heap leaching,” a method of mining gold entails pouring varied amounts of a cyanide solution in ore piles to extract any available gold. Although less expensive, the amount of dangerous waste as a result of extraction is approximately 99.99%, which is almost always left abandoned!
“Producing gold for one wedding ring alone generates 20 tons of waste.” (Dirty Gold’s Impact, n.d.)
Higher Rock Education. (n.d.). Retrieved October 29, 2016, from http://www.higherrockeducation.org/glossary-of-terms/factors-of-production
Native communities who live on mineral-rich land as well as the miners who work on excavating and collecting gold are both seen as expendable aspects in corporation's eyes.
People indigenous to lands that are mineral rich are often subject to mistreatment as mining companies forcefully enter sacred lands and destroy ecosystems through harsh mining methods. Without giving the natives any compensation, royalties, or assistance in relocating.
As one of the most dangerous jobs in the world, mineral miners are subject to harsh conditions that may cause permanent illnesses, shorter lifespans, and even death.
Mining can cause a range of long-term disabilities, including, but not limited to, respiratory issues (silicosis), tuberculosis, bronchitis, and lung cancer.
High temperatures (possibility to reach 60 degrees Celsius) and high atmospheric pressure in deep underground mining may raise blood pressure and damage the nervous system.
All while company executives ignore the cultural significance of land as well as workers' safety in mines, and focus on creating a profit
Research suggests that relying on mineral mining is an unrewarding economic strategy for the long-term (“Economic Impacts”, n.d.). A phenomenon coined as “the resource curse” that refers to mineral-rich developing countries enduring the slowest growth rates and highest poverty rates in the world (“Economic Impacts”, n.d.). Most of which are located in Africa and parts of the Caribbean.
Jewelry is the highest factor of demand as people adore gold's aesthetic purposes (43%), gold bar and coin investment being the second highest factor of demand (29%), and dentistry, electronics, and other industry needs account for the lowest factor of demand (28%). (“The Direct Economic Impact of Gold”, n.d.).
In 2012, the economic contribution of gold production in the fifteen largest producing countries is approximately greater than $78 billion (“The Direct Economic Impact of Gold”, n.d.).
Primarily made up of gold mining, which makes up of two-thirds of the gold supply annually (64%), recycled gold is an often overlooked supplier of gold which makes up the other third (36%) (“The Direct Economic Impact of Gold”, n.d.).
Gold’s everlasting financial, emotional, and cultural significance globally generates a sustaining demand for gold.
Environmentalists (Interest Group)