As stated in the First Amendment, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." What this is basically saying is, Americans have the right of speech, religion, press, and to petition (peacefully), and it cannot be taken away from them. Our internet privileges are very free too. We do not have privileges on what we can/cannot see. Unlike other countries, we have a wide-stream internet, and are not controlled on what we do. We also have access to, mostly, any television channel we want. There isn't just one main channel being controlled by the government, bu multiple, and of various different genres. Going along with the freedom of speech, we can speak, and practice whatever we want. There is no restrictions on what we can say, whether it reflects the government in a good or bad way.
Saudi Arabia Rights
Saudi Arabia does not have the same rights and freedom as we do. In Saudi Arabia, you, pretty much, have zero freedom of speech/press. The citizens there are not allowed to say anything or protest against the Government. No independent media is allowed in Saudi Arabia, and you will get arrested, or even killed, if caught acting against this. Unlike America, Saudi Arabia is censored on their access to internet, television, books, messaging etc. The government of Saudi Arabia blocks certain websites, channels, social networking sites, from the citizen's phones. Their internet censorship is a very big deal, and means journalists do not have the access to write about whatever they want like we do.
Travelling/Reporting in Saudi Arabia
When one travels to Saudi Arabia, there are very important rules you must follow, or else your life might be at risk. Not only are their strict rules made by the government, but there are religious procedures to follow as well. If you're a woman; things like driving, going to the gym, and even leaving the country without a male presence are prohibited. In Saudi Arabia, LGBTQ community members are not allowed and criminalized. While reporting, photographs of governmental facilities are prohibited. U.S. citizens have been detained on multiple occasions for breaking this law.
Saudi Arabia is a country in the Middle East.
This country's government is very strict, and citizens are not granted a lot of freedom. Not even being allowed to have independent religious, unions, or human rights groups.
According to Reporters Without Borders, it is ranked 169 out of 180 on the Word Press Freedom Index.
It was founded in 1932 by Ibn Saud.
Although being very strict, it is a very religious country and follows the Islamic faith.
Out of the 33.4 million people, 90% is Arab and the other 10% is is Afro-Asian.
Eman al Nafjan
Eman al Nafjan is a well known women's rights activist and blogger. She has been known to criticize the laws against women in Saudi Arabia, and is not afraid to speak her mind. However, on May 17, 2018, she was arrested for having "suspicious contact with foreign parties" and endangering "security and stability." After being arrested, she was not allowed to access a lawyer to defend her in court. In Saudi Arabia, speaking out against women's rights is dangerous and prohibited.
Alaa Brinji was arrested on May 13, 2014, for a series of tweets against the government. These tweets were considered a cyber-crime, and he mocked religious figures & leaders, and he was inciting public opinion. Brinji was not granted access to a lawyer, and was sent to a jail time of seven years. Having already done 4, there has been no sign of these laws changing in Saudi Arabia.
The government in Saudi Arabia is an absolute monarchy, with leader King and Prime Minister Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. This country does not have a constitution, but has a Royal Decree. This law states the responsibilities and processes of the growing institutions, but is insufficiently specific enough to be considered an actual constitution.. Although having no official constitution, it is said that the Qu'ran and the Sunna are the country's constitution.
LII Staff. “First Amendment.” LII / Legal Information Institute, Legal Information Institute, 21 Sept. 2017, www.law.cornell.edu/wex/first_amendment.
Saudi Arabia : No Independent Media | Reporters without Borders.” RSF, rsf.org/en/saudi- arabia.
U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of State, travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country- Information-Pages/SaudiArabia.html.
Saudi Arabia Map. www.wpmap.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/saudi-arabia-map_thumb.gif
Saudi Arabia Flag. tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.w6L3XbGbq7aOOhUCb-EdUgHaE7&w=300&h=199&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7.
Eman Al Nafjan. www.bing.com/th?id=Add680ccf227b155ca849473a5d23261b&w=110&h=110&c=12&rs=1&qlt=80&pcl=f9f9f9&cdv=1&pid=16.2.