Lysergic Acid Diethylamide
Marvin Pell & Brandon Kelso
- Hallucinogenic drug
- Chemical makeup: Lysergic acid, Lysergic acid hydrazide (iso), Diethylamide
- No medical uses
- At Columbia University they sell $10 a tabs
+ Usually sold in a small tube or flask containers because they make big batches its cheaper to sell in snall tubes or flasks and it prevents them from breaking.
- It is an illegal drug
How its made
- Ergot has alkaloids that have to be extracted. It has to be made in a darkroom because light would decompose it
- The alkaloids is synthesized into iso by heating and chemical processes
- The iso is isomerzied, then cooled and mixed with acids and bases into iso-lysergic diethylamide
- Its isomerzied again into active LSD. The LSD is then purified and crystallized.
-Dissolved in ethanol, blotting paper is dipped in the solution.
Effects of LSD
- It dilute the pupils, raise blood pressure, increase body temperature, reduce appetite, cause insomnia or sleeplessness, lead to dehydration, and change moods or feelings.
- Causes perceptual changes in colors, sounds, tactile sensations, and the individual’s sense of time.
- Can cause some to experience a bad trip, while they are under the influence they can be paranoid or have anxiety.
- Therapies, medical therapy for anxiety or depression
Who takes it? What drug screenings would it show up?
- People who take LSD are usually young, people who's already similar with drugs and expects a good experience
- People who ingest it typically develops physiological dependency
- In 2008, about 3.1 million people in the US aged 12 to 25 has taken LSD
- LSD would show up on 2 drug screenings:
+ Abuscreen- Screens blood, serum, urine and stomach contents
+ EMIT- series of tests that cover the same area as abuscreen
Charges and Fines
- Trafficking one dose of LSD:
+ First offense: 5 to 40 years in prison and fine up to 2 million
+ Second offense: 10 years to life in prison and fine cant exceed 4 million
-Trafficking 2 or more doses:
+ First offense: 10 years to life in prison and can be fine up to 4 million
+ Second offense: 20 years to life in prison and fine cant exceed 8 million